Monday, December 3, 2007

3 main barriers to a complete 0.3 release of the source server

Here is the code I have so far in symbolstore.py
http://pastebin.mozilla.org/254868

My portion is specifically lines 36 - 71 where I am now gathering up a string of source files along with the revision number, and generating a (almost) properly formatted stream file in the pdb's directory.

Here are the barriers:

1. I would prefer to have a template where I have a variable %SOURCEFILES% that can be replaced and output to a new file for each pdb, instead of writing out each line of the stream file in symbolstore.py. If I can't get that happening for this release - oh well, Dave said it can be a bit ugly at the 0.3 stage. At least what I have right now, is creating the stream file properly.

2. On lines 38 and 39 - what I am making here is a string that looks like this: c:\mozilla/xpcom/glue/nsTraceRefcnt.h and in fact, this has to be c:\USERS_SOURCEFILE_DIR\mozilla\xpcom\glue\nsTraceRecnt.h -- so two things need to happen here, first, I need the / to be \ (except for the one after c:, cause it's right already) and second, for now I can probably name the dir "ff" and the user can make sure that VStudio is pointing to that path (c:\ff) when looking for source files...but in the long run? I don't know yet.

3. This is along the same lines as the template issue. The reason I haven't successfully implemented the template is because I don't know where to put, or how to create a path to, the right folders when symbolstore.py is being called. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as I had hoped in that putting the template in the same folder as symbolstore.py would allow me to open it with its name only. So as well as not being able to open the template, I don't know how I can call upon pdbstr from inside of symbolstore.py

That's going to be the last part, the first two are a little more pressing.

No comments: